Water Frequently Asked Questions


Click on a topic below to learn more


ANR's Lake Champlain Clean-up Efforts

The State of Vermont and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) are in the process of developing and implementing a new restoration plan for Lake Champlain and its tributaries.  Restoring Lake Champlain offers useful links to progress on this project.  The Clean Water Initiative is an exciting new collaboration between several Vermont State Agencies to clean and maintain our watersheds.


Aquatic Invasive Species

Information on aquatic invasive species in Vermont

To report an aquatic invasive species sighting in Vermont, call 802-490-6120 within the Department of Environmental Conservation.


Boating Access

Boating in Vermont

Fishing Access Areas


Depth Maps

Depth Charts of Vermont Lakes and Ponds


Fish Stocking

Fish Stocking

Fish Stocking Schedule

Buying Fish for a Private Pond


Gold Mining / Prospecting

Panning is permitted using only traditional hand-panning techniques.  Mechanical techniques, digging, dredging, and the use of sluice boxes are prohibited activities.  Any artifacts uncovered on state land are the property of the state and should not be removed.

Gold in Vermont

Stream Alteration Rules and Permits (including mineral prospecting)


Hydroelectric Generation

Hydroelectic Power in Vermont


In-stream Work (Construction, Bank Stabilization, Diversion)

River Management and Stream Alteration Permits



How to control nuisance, native aquatic plants and algae

Small Pond Information from the Department of Environmental Conservation

Small Pond Mangement from the Fish and Wildlife Department


Shorelands Regulations and Permits

Shoreland Permitting


Stream Alteration Permits

Stream Alteration permits


Swimming Safety

Guide to Healthy Recreational Waters

Swim Healthy and Safe

Swim Water Quality from Vermont Department of Health

Water Safety Test Results for Vermont State Parks


Vernal Pools

Department of Environmental Conservation information on  Vernal Pools

Vermont Center for EcoStudies conducts an extensive Vernal Pool Mapping Project and offers great information on Vernal Pools and their conservation.


Wastewater / Septic

Information about Wastewater Permits


Water Quality

Testing your Drinking Water Supply

For questions about Vermont's drinking water quality and supply, contact Department of Environmental Conservation's Drinking Water and Groundwater Protection Division at 802-828-1535.


Wells and Well Water Testing 

Information for testing your drinking water supply

Well driller licensing and reporting



Department of Environmental Conservation's Wetlands homepage

Contact a Wetlands Specialist for questions, permits, and specific information