Skip to main content

ANR Flood Debris Cleanup Guidance

After a flood event, most debris can be disposed of in one container. Flood-damaged recyclables or food waste can be thrown away in the trash. The cleanup of paint, chemicals, oil, gas, pesticides, and other hazardous materials in flood-damaged basements and properties needs special care. To protect solid waste workers and the environment, it is critical that residents, businesses, contractors, and cleanup crews separate these hazardous items from trash.

Keep these items separate from trash:

  • Dangerous wastes such as toxics, pesticides, explosives, gasoline, oil, pool chemicals, acids, drain cleaner, fireworks, flares, ammo, and unprotected “sharps”
  • Oil, brake cleaner, other toxic car products
  • Paint, stain, varnish, paint thinner/stripper
  • Propane cylinders, other gas cylinders
  • Hazardous Waste
  • Batteries
  • Electronics
  • Mercury products such as fluorescent bulbs, thermostats, and thermometers
  • Tires
  • Scrap metal and large appliances such as refrigerators, freezers, stoves, washers, and dryers

Household hazardous waste collection services may be available from Solid Waste Management Entities (SWME). Learn more by contacting your SWME at 802recycles.comServices vary, but some of these items may be accepted at your local transfer station.

Other Tips:

  • Be safe! Use gloves and eye protection. Handle household chemicals with care.
  • Secure materials from children and pets.
  • If an item is leaking, place the container in a pail.
  • Do not mix chemicals or pour them down the drain or on the ground.

If you have questions, contact the VT Department of Environmental Conservation, Solid Waste Program at 802-828-1138.

Non-Discrimination Notice:

The Vermont Agency of Natural Resources (ANR) operates its programs, services, and activities without discriminating on the basis of race, religion, creed, color, national origin (including limited English proficiency), ancestry, place of birth, disability, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or breastfeeding (mother and child).

Language Access Notice:

Questions or Complaints/Free Language Services ǀ SERVICES LINGUISTIQUES GRATUITS | भाषासम्बन्धी नि:शुल्क सेवाहरू ǀ SERVICIOS GRATUITOS DE IDIOMAS ǀ 免費語言服務 | BESPLATNE JEZIČKE USLUGE ǀ БЕСПЛАТНЫЕ УСЛУГИ ПЕРЕВОДА | DỊCH VỤ NGÔN NGỮ MIỄN PHÍ ǀ 無料通訳サービス ǀ ነጻ የቋንቋ አገልግሎቶች | HUDUMA ZA MSAADA WA LUGHA BILA MALIPO | BESPLATNE JEZIČKE USLUGE | အခမဲ့ ဘာသာစကား ဝန်ဆောင်မှုများ | ADEEGYO LUUQADA AH OO BILAASH AH ǀ خدمات لغة مجانية: or 802-636-7827.