Skip to main content

Guidance for Businesses and Water Professionals: Public Drinking Water Systems

How do I request bottled or bulk water for my system while on a Boil Water or Do Not Drink Notice?

If you represent a public water system and your system is on the Boil Water and Do Not Drink list due to flooding, you can request bottled or bulk water from FEMA. To get started with a request, please contact the Drinking Water Community Operations Section Supervisor Dana Nagy by email at or phone at 802-477-3418.

How do I get assistance with assessment and short-term remediation of damages to my water system?

There is a variety of equipment and volunteer help available through Vermont Water/Wastewater Agency Response Network (VT WARN). Use the “Request Aid” form at to submit a request for mutual aid.

If your water system needs advice or technical assistance, you can reach out to the Vermont Rural Water Association at or 802-660-4988.

How do I find Public Water System Forms, Templates and Applications?

Go here to find all the forms, applications, and templates relevant for a public water system, including the Boil Water Notice Template.

My Water System is coming off the Boil Water and Do Not Drink list. Are there resources for my customers about flushing premise plumbing? 

Here is some language you can provide customers with regarding flushing of premise plumbing after a BWN or DND.

We need to conserve water while recovering from the flood. How do I send out a water conservation notice to my water users?

If your water system is needing to conserve water while recovering from the damages of the flood, you can use this water conservation notice.

How do I prepare my Water System to receive flood-recovery funding?

Document everything! You should keep track of and save:

  • number of employee hours spent
  • in-stock materials used
  • materials purchased
  • photos of damages
  • other things, as they relate to your damages and remediation efforts.

Visit Vermont Rural Water Association for resources on Funding for Disaster Recovery.

For a quick overview of eligibility of water and wastewater utilities for disaster funds under FEMA’s Public Assistance Grant Program, see Public Assistance for Water and Wastewater Utilities in Emergencies and Disasters.

For more detailed information, check out FEMA’s Public Assistance Grant Program website for information on eligibility, how to apply and other tools and resources, and Lessons Learned from Water/Wastewater Utilities that Participated in FEMA’s Public Assistance Grant Program

Non-Discrimination Notice:

The Vermont Agency of Natural Resources (ANR) operates its programs, services, and activities without discriminating on the basis of race, religion, creed, color, national origin (including limited English proficiency), ancestry, place of birth, disability, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or breastfeeding (mother and child).

Language Access Notice:

Questions or Complaints/Free Language Services ǀ SERVICES LINGUISTIQUES GRATUITS | भाषासम्बन्धी नि:शुल्क सेवाहरू ǀ SERVICIOS GRATUITOS DE IDIOMAS ǀ 免費語言服務 | BESPLATNE JEZIČKE USLUGE ǀ БЕСПЛАТНЫЕ УСЛУГИ ПЕРЕВОДА | DỊCH VỤ NGÔN NGỮ MIỄN PHÍ ǀ 無料通訳サービス ǀ ነጻ የቋንቋ አገልግሎቶች | HUDUMA ZA MSAADA WA LUGHA BILA MALIPO | BESPLATNE JEZIČKE USLUGE | အခမဲ့ ဘာသာစကား ဝန်ဆောင်မှုများ | ADEEGYO LUUQADA AH OO BILAASH AH ǀ خدمات لغة مجانية: or 802-636-7827.