Skip to main content

CLOSING - Vermont Residents Can Bring Flood-Related Hazardous Materials to Collection Site in Middlesex or Local Collection Locations

UPDATE - this collection site will be closing on Saturday, August 12, 2023

For Immediate Release – July 28, 2023  

Josh Kelly, Solid Waste Program Manager 
Department of Environmental Conservation 

Vermont Residents Can Bring Flood-Related Hazardous Materials to Collection Site in Middlesex or Local Collection Locations  

Montpelier, Vt. – Residents can bring their flood-related hazardous materials to the State of Vermont hazardous materials collection site at the former Middlesex Police Barracks at 1078 U.S. Route 2 in Middlesex or to local collection locations and events. Please check online before you go to a collection location as information may change. Collections will begin as early as Saturday, July 29, 2023.  

Businesses with hazardous materials can bring up to ten (10) 5-gallon containers of flood-related hazardous materials to the State of Vermont collection site in Middlesex, Vermont, or call local collection locations and events to ask if they are accepting hazardous waste from businesses.  

Businesses that generate hazardous waste or that have larger amounts of flood-related hazardous materials should call the Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) Hazardous Materials Program at (802) 828-1138 for assistance. 

Flood-related hazardous materials must be a part of a flood clean-out and commonly include cleaners, chemicals, paint, paint thinners/strippers, pesticides, gasoline, oil, propane and other gas cylinders, batteries, fluorescent bulbs, mercury thermostats, mercury thermometers, and other dangerous or toxic wastes. This does not include explosives, fireworks, flares, ammunition, sharps, electronics, and non-hazardous flood debris or solid waste. For flood-related explosives, fireworks, flares, and ammunition contact your local fire department or police. 

Residents and businesses can call the DEC Solid Waste Management Program at 802-828-1138 with questions on flood-related hazardous materials.  

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) is working with the State of Vermont for a limited time so please take advantage of these resources while they are available. 

Other tips for flood debris management:  

·        Be safe! Use gloves, mask, and eye protection. 
·        Handle household chemicals with care.  
·        Secure materials from children and pets.
·        If an item is leaking, place the container in a pail.  
·        Do not mix chemicals or pour them down the drain or on the ground. 

For more information on flood recovery resources from the Agency of Natural Resources, Department of Environmental Conservation, Fish and Wildlife Department, or the Department of Forests, Parks, and Recreation, visit  


Non-Discrimination Notice:  
The Vermont Agency of Natural Resources (ANR) operates its programs, services, and activities without discriminating on the basis of race, religion, creed, color, national origin (including limited English proficiency), ancestry, place of birth, disability, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or breastfeeding (mother and child). 

Language Access Notice:  
Questions or Complaints/Free Language Services ǀ SERVICES LINGUISTIQUES GRATUITS | भाषासम्बन्धी नि:शुल्क सेवाहरू ǀ SERVICIOS GRATUITOS DE IDIOMAS ǀ 免費語言服務 | BESPLATNE JEZIČKE USLUGE ǀ БЕСПЛАТНЫЕ УСЛУГИ ПЕРЕВОДА | DỊCH VỤ NGÔN NGỮ MIỄN PHÍ ǀ 無料通訳サービス ǀ ነጻ የቋንቋ አገልግሎቶች | HUDUMA ZA MSAADA WA LUGHA BILA MALIPO | BESPLATNE JEZIČKE USLUGE | အခမဲ့ ဘာသာစကား ဝန်ဆောင်မှုများ | ADEEGYO LUUQADA AH OO BILAASH AH  ǀ خدمات لغة مجانية: or 802-636-7827.