Permit navigator screenNew Permit Navigator Tool Available
The Agency of Natural Resources has developed a Permit Navigator to assist in determining what permits may be needed for projects being planned.  Use the new site to learn about various Agency permits.

Permitting Information

ANR Permits

The Agency issues a wide variety of permits, certificates and licenses. If you know which ANR department issues the permit, certificate or license that interests you, go to:

Or see a list of permits issued by other State Agencies that are commonly requested.

The Office of Planning and Policy offers guidance to developers of large, complex projects and can answer questions from the general public about projects that are under Agency review.

Use the Natural Resources Atlas to view multiple permit types in a GIS environment.

Department of Environmental Conservation Permits

DEC issues a wide array of permits - the most of any department within the Agency. The Environmental Assistance Office provides permit assistance through the Permit Navigator tool. The Permit Navigator can help you identify the necessary state environmental permits for a project on a single parcel. If you have a linear, polygon, or multi-parcel project, contact a Community Assistance Specialist to get started.

The Permit Handbook includes a list of many permits, mostly those issued by DEC.

Fish & Wildlife Permits

Visit their website for more information.

Forests, Parks and Recreation Permits

Licenses and Special Use Permits
A permit may be necessary for use of ANR land if the activity: 

  • is organized or publicized; 
  • involves a fee (charged to participants); 
  • alters a site or alters/removes natural resources; 
  • may conflict with other established uses;
  • when group size exceeds 10 people, including guides.

A new online application process can help you find out what kind of permit you need, or you can contact the District Office in your region.

Heavy Cut Permit 
An Intent-to-Cut Notification must be submitted to the Vermont Department of Forests, Parks and Recreation ONLY IF a landowner plans to conduct a heavy cut of 40 acres or more. "Heavy cut" is defined as "a harvest leaving a residual stocking level of acceptable growing stock below the C-line, as defined by the United States Department of Agriculture silvicultural stocking guides for the applicable timber type."

Burning Permit
Burning permits are issued by town forest fire wardens when burning is deemed safe.

Key Permits Issued by Other State Agencies